Job applicants urged to do their homework
Reports of a job employment scam are on the rise in southern Alberta, according to the Better Business Bureau, which has already had a number of complaints.
The Southern Alberta and East Kootenays BBB is warning consumers after receiving three complaints from consumers about two companies offering fake employment.
“The BBB is seeing more and more employment scams and the scammers seem to be targeting people when there most vulnerable,” said Sandra Crozier-McKee, president and CEO of BBB. “Always check with your BBB before accepting any jobs or money if you’re unsure.”
The BBB soon discovered that the two businesses were connected.
This is how it works: The following companies, Informatic Consult and Ddundas Consult, are obtaining consumers details through online job seekers websites and offering fake employment.
After the fake administration job offer has been made, the prospective employee is provided with instructions and informed that a cheque will be forwarded to them to deposit and distribute the funds accordingly.
The companies claim that they’ve run a consulting firm based out of Toronto for the last 15 years, but is relocating to the USA in two weeks time.
This is what the email looks like:
Thank you for your interest.
I have received your resume in response to my recent job posting on monster.com for the position of PERSONAL ASSISTANT.
The posting has generated an enormous response from interested candidates. I reviewed your resume and I am impressed. Your background and experience most closely fit the needs of this position.
My consulting firm has been in existence for over 15yrs in toronto, Canada and I am relocating my business to united state in two weeks from now. Due to my busy schedule, I am always in need of a permanent PERSONAL ASSISTANT to carry out the duties listed below :
- Maintain the general filing system and file all
- Assist in the planning and preparation of meetings, and conference
- Make preparations for corporate meetings
- Respond to inquiries
- Provide word-processing and secretarial support
- Type confidential documents on a word-processing system
Excellent in English, both verbal & amp; writing
Effective verbal and listening communications skills
Time management skills
The incumbent must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties related to the office. The incumbent must also demonstrate the following additional attributes:
1. Be honest and trust worthy
2. Be respectful
3. Be flexible
4. Demonstrate sound work ethics
Basic salary $1,000 weekly / $4,000 monthly without taxes.
direct mobile number : 403 402 3109
Company Website : www.informaticsconsult.com
If you are interested , your response will be appreciated . kindly reply this email to confirm your interest.
IMPORTANT : kindly include you present cell phone number when replying because i might need to call you. thanks.
403 402 3109
Editor’s note: Beacon News attempted to call this phone number, which appears to be disconnected.
When the consumer’s responded asking for more details a second email was sent out saying:
I am glad to confirm to you that your application has been approved. It is my pleasure to inform you that you will be my PERSONAL Assistant in United States. I will be arriving in 2 weeks from now. We will meet then, guess at the airport if you wish so I can brief you on your duties. Your job will officially start before I leave Alberta, Canada… Which means you will work from home two weeks before the office is Fully furnished and opened. The benefits that comes with this offer are as follows: Medical, dental, visual insurance and bonuses at the end of each year.
Duration of working hours: 9am – 5pm. Monday – Friday
A “cashier’s check” will be sent to you for my hotel reservation and car rental service and other basic things, before I get a house to buy (Guess you will help with getting a house and office space in the downtown of the City to rent). You are to deposit the check and deduct $300 (as part of your wages) and then you will sort the remaining funds with my agent. All my travel plans will be sent to you via email.
Kindly confirm your Address so the cashier’s check can be sent out to you.
I will be awaiting the details required, thanks.
403 402 3109 www.informaticsconsult.com
Luckily all of the consumers that were contacted did not fall for this scam. Both websites have now been shut down, but may pop up again under different names.
Consumers are advised to follow these tips before accepting a job offer online:
- Check with BBB Directory at calgary.bbb.org first to find out more details on the company.
- If the company is not listed in the directory, call your local BBB to see if they have had any complaints or inquiries about the business or if they even exist.
- Google the company, and check out their website and what contact info they have listed, if an address is listed, Google map it to see if this location exists. Drive there if unsure.
- Do not except any money until you have confirmed that this is legitimate.
- Ask for a call back number for the company.
- Be familiar with your local laws concerning this type of business and check with the job agency.
- Make sure to ask lot of questions, preferably in person and not on the phone or email, and listen for inconsistency.
- Never give out any personal information or banking information.
- Contact any company directly to ask about any offers, in case it is a case of corporate ID theft.
About the Author (Author Profile)
Markham began his journalism career writing columns in the mid-1980s for Western People Magazine, then reported for a small Saskatchewan daily. He has spent most of his career in media and communications, likes to dabble in politics, was actively involved in economic development for many years, thinks that what goes on in the community is just as important as what happens provincially and nationally, and has a soft spot for small business (big business, not so much). Markham is a bit of a contrarian and usually has a unique take on the events of the day.