The Calgary Civic Symphony is celebrating its 36th anniversary with its 2011/12 line-up dubbed “A Season of Colours”, featuring renowned classical musicians from Calgary.
These include the CPO’s legendary principal clarinetist Steve Amsel and mezzo-soprano Jacqui Lynn Fidlar. The orchestra also features local music groups such as the Calgary Philharmonic Chorus, Cantaré Children’s Choir, and Calgary Girls Choir.
Music Director Rolf Bertsch will be conducting the orchestra as always. “I am very excited about the variety of great music we will present this season,” says Bertsch. “The music reflects the orchestra’s continuing development in both its playing and its ongoing efforts to reach out to and collaborate with wonderful artists and groups from our vibrant community.”
Here are the highlights:
- Carmina Burana (November 6). The orchestra will collaborate with the Hungarian Arts and Heritage Foundation of Alberta festival, “A Celebration of Franz Liszt”. Two brilliant pianists from Budapest’s Franz Liszt Academy will join the orchestra to present the uniquely exotic rhythms and colours of the music of Hungary.
- A Child’s Christmas (December 18). The Calgary Girls Choir joins the orchestra in this programme of seasonal favourites sure to delight children of all ages. The concert also features two young pianists from Mount Royal Conservatory’s Academy program performing Camille Saint-Saëns’ ever-popular Carnival of the Animals.
- French Impressionism (February 26, 2012). On the occasion of Debussy’s 150th birthday, the orchestra explores the moods and colours of masterworks of the two greatest French impressionists, Debussy and Ravel. The CPO’s principal clarinetist, Steve Amsel, joins the orchestra to perform Debussy’s Première rhapsodie.
- Earth Day and C3 (April 22, 2012). The orchestra marks Earth Day with works representing the sky and the sea and the 30th year of hosting the Calgary Concerto Competition (C3) winners. The concert concludes with Beethoven’s mightiest overture, Leonore No. 3.
- Hoch Romantisch (June 10, 2012). The orchestra will be joined by Calgary musicians from all corners for Anton Bruckner’s monumental 9th Symphony, all in support of the Food Bank.
The Symphony is offering a subscription package for all five performances starting as low as $60. For more information or to subscribe, please call (403) 670-5430 or visit www.calgarycivicsymphony.ca
About the Author (Author Profile)