Calgary Election 2013 set for October 21
The official announcement of all the candidates running in Calgary Election 2013 was made this week and it looks like there are definitely issues that could shape the course of the race for council.
For a complete list of candidates running in Calgary Election 2013, you can check here.
For many people, particularly when it comes to the mayoral race, you have decided who should be mayor. In general, you have probably been happy about the direction and leadership Mayor Naheed Nenshi has shown.
While that is an understandable position, it does not mean there are not issues when it comes to the City of Calgary. I have come up with five issues I would like to see discussed in Calgary Election 2013.
1) Housing – We continue to have a very low vacancy rate in Calgary. This, mixed with the increased rent in Calgary is making it tougher and tougher to obtain affordable housing. How does the city deal with this going forward?
2) Urban Sprawl/City Growth – Because there is a perception that there are jobs in Calgary, we will continue to have people move here. There are some who continue to want to move out and contribute to sprawl rather than build up inner city areas. Is this really effective? Are there alternative ways to deal with city growth?
3) Downtown Revitalization Project-Every time I come back to Calgary from a trip, I always notice that our downtown does not have the same, vibrant life other cities do. I believe we are missing out on something here. Downtowns have an opportunity to develop community. Should we be looking at that?
4) Commuting- Kudos to the strides that Calgary Transit has made. However, many feel that there are still a number of steps we can make to improve the overall commuter experience in Calgary. Many are looking for alternative and efficient ways to commute around the city. How will the city respond?
5) Homeless/ Working Poor-Mayor Nenshi, along with others in the city, have already had good conversations about the homeless. However, the conversations need to continue and include the working poor. We do have a working poor population that exists in this city. How does the city look at these issues?
Those are my five issues. But I would like to hear from you. What are the issues you would like to see discussed during Calgary Election 2013?
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world’s leading questionnaire tool.