Girl 14, 15-year old boy and 20-year old man suffer GHB overdose

| June 6, 2013 | 0 Comments

GHB overdose victims hospitalized in ICU

ghb overdose

Three people hospitalized in ICU following GHB overdose.

Two teens and one adult were rushed to hospital and admitted to the ICU on Friday night following GHB overdoses.  The three were all a weekend dance party at the Polish Veterans Hall on Kingsway Ave.

Police responded to a disturbance call at the hall just after 10 p.m. on Friday.  When they arrived, they found about 100 youths and young adults hanging out on the street in front of the hall after leaving a dance put on by a promoter.

Many of the party goers appeared to be under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

Police began to break up the crowd and noticed a man being carried out by his friends.  He was unresponsive and foaming at the mouth.  Paramedics were called to the scene, they treated the man and transported him to hospital with a suspected GHB overdose.  Once at the hospital, the man was placed in the Intensive Care Unit.

VPD members continued to patrol the area east of the hall and found a 15-year old boy who appeared to be overdosing on GHB.  He was also rushed to hospital and admitted to the ICU.

Finally, a short time later, police found the third victim, a 14-year old girl, who they believed was ODing on GHB.  She, too, was taken to hospital by EMS and admitted to the Intensive Care Unit.

“We would like to encourage parents to have a conversation with their children regarding the harmful and potentially lethal consequences of consuming both recreational and prescription drugs,” says Sergeant Randy Fincham, spokesperson for the Vancouver Police Department.

Fincham adds “Police and community resources are available to assist families struggling with both recreational and habitual drug concerns.”

GHB or Gamma-Hydroxybutyric Acid is an illegal drug.  In small doses, it can act as a stimulant and aphrodisiac. It is commonly referred to as “liquid ecstasy” or the “date rape drug”.

VPD officials warn consuming GHB with alcohol is dangerous and can lead to vomiting, and should the user be unconscious, that can lead to death.

More information on the health risks related to the consumption of GHB can be found on the Health Canada website:

The Vancouver Police add the Vancouver Coastal Health provides free addiction services designed to meet the needs of youth between the ages of 12 and 24 struggling with substance misuse or addiction to drugs or alcohol.  Staff provide a range of prevention, education, counselling, treatment and support services, in collaboration with community agencies across the areas served by Vancouver Coastal Health.

 

 

Tags: , ,

Category: Vancouver

Leave a Reply

Tell your Story