Vancouver Canucks wont say much about Malhotra’s injury situation
The Vancouver Canucks say veteran forward Manny Malhotra will miss the rest of the season.
The club has placed the 32-year-old on injured reserve.
The native of Mississauga, Ont., has appeared in nine games this season but has no points.
There was no reason given for the move but Canucks president and GM Mike Gillis said the club’s main concern for Malhotra is his long-term health.
“The long-term health of Manny Malhotra is of utmost importance to our organization,” Canucks president and general Mike Gillis said in a statement on the club’s website.
“Throughout his career Manny has showcased his indispensability through skilled play, being a consummate professional and leader in the room while also continuously giving back to the community. Manny will continue to be a valued member of our organization.”
$1 will be donated to the BC chapter of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation by Beacon News for every completed reader survey. Support a great cause today!
In March 2011, Malhotra suffered a serious eye injury when struck by a puck during a game versus Colorado.
But he didn’t play in Vancouver’s 2-1 win over Minnesota on Tuesday night for what the team said was “a personal matter.” The former Kitchener Ranger had been a scratch in recent games leading to speculation about his future with the team. At the time, the team would only call his absence personal issue.
Malhotra had no points and two shots on goal in nine games this season.
The Vancouver Canucks did not release details of Malhotra’s injury.
Speculation has Malhotra working with the club’s players in some capacity off the ice. The face-off specialist and fan-favourite has a strong connection to the city and is married to the sister of Canadian basketballs star Steve Nash.
With files from The Canadian Press